So last night the Celtics won a crucial game 3 in L.A. tying the series and stealing home court advantage from the Lakers, but where was Garnett's big statement? Boston fans thought he was gonna play like it was '08. Hell, even I thought a player of Garnett's caliber would put up somewhat of a fight against the "soft" Pau Gasol who lead LA with 25 points and 8 boards. I think it's time to face the facts, he's finished. This isn't the same KG we saw in Minnesota or even two years ago. He can still be productive, but with averaging just 11 points and 4 rebounds thus far in the Finals I don't see KG being a factor. Garnett will go down as one of the best defensive players and power forwards of all time (I have him at #2), but The Big Ticket has been punched.
With that being said, it wouldn't be right to talk about Game 2 and not mention Rajon Rondo. Is this guy good or what? If there was any doubt that Rondo is the best player on the Celtics, he erased it last night with one of the best Finals performances in the history of the Laker-Celtic rivalry. I didn't think anybody would challenge Chris Paul for best floor general in basketball, but Rondo is making a strong argument for not only best point guard, but one of the top 10 players in the league.

Any thoughts on Ray Allen's night? This is a guy who was always considered to be the 3 in the big 3 when they formed a few years ago (it was just though). He was underrated in their title run in 08 and is still at times now. His quick release and pretty shot is still entertaining to watch. I know 90% of his 32 were in the first half of the game but this guy has stepped up when Mr. Big Ticket, another future hall of famer and the man who always got the love as the 1 in big 3 has not.
ReplyDeleteYes of course, I love Ray Allen he's one of my favorite players. He had the best two quarters of his career last night. Tied his own record (shared with Scottie Pippen and Kenny Smith) then broke it in the third quarter. He certainly redeemed himself after sitting much of game 1 in foul trouble even though he was a non-factor after his record breaking shot.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, Allen has been underrated. Unlike 2008 the two best players for Boston these play-offs are in their back-court, which is the best in the league. When Allen scores 20+ the Celtics are 9-1 in the postseason and without his incredible first half Boston would be going home down 2-0.
The 4 of us should just take over the sports media scene haha. I feel like theres more analysis on the BDL than on ESPN at times.
ReplyDelete