33. St. Louis Rams -- Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana
A very surprising pick with the good wide receivers on the board, but not a bad one. St. Louis is either going to stick Saffold at right guard as the heir apparent to Richie Incognito or he'll finally supplant Alex Barron at RT. A solid, but not great pick.
34. Minnesota Vikings (from Detroit) -- Chris Cook, CB/S, Virginia
Another pick that I'm not thrilled with, but I'm also not surprised. The Vikings were said to be really high on Cook, and as am I, but I'm not sure if he's going to play corner at the next level. He hits like a mack truck which is very important for a cover two team like Minnesota, but they may move him over to safety. Overall this is the right selection.
35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
Shocking selection here. Tampa Bay's receiving woes are well documented and they snagged Gerald McCoy in round one. It looks like they want two under tackle types, but I'm not sure if this is going to really help the 32nd ranked rushing defense as much as the Bucs think. Price also has to keep his weight issues under control, as there were rumors that he could fall to the third day of the draft.
36. Kansas City Chiefs -- Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, Ole Miss
I did not seriously expect the Chiefs to take Clausen, but I also did not seriously expect anyone to draft McCluster in round two. He's a weapon, but he's going to struggle for playing time with Jamaal Charles, and I'm not sure he's going to be able to be anything more than a slot receiver. It's a questionable selection this early for a team who could have grabbed Terrence Cody on a team that badly needs a 3-4 NT.
37. Philadelphia Eagles (from Washington) -- Nate Allen, FS, South Florida
A friend of mine who is an Eagles fan asked me earlier today if the Eagles would draft Taylor Mays. I told him maybe, but my money was on Nate Allen. I love the disciplined safety out of South Florida. He's got excellent ball skills and knows how to read a quarterback's eyes. The Eagles have addressed their two biggest needs so far, and they've still got quite a few picks to go.
38. Cleveland Browns -- T.J. Ward, S, Oregon
A big upset pick. Ward was a guy I didn't think would go until the fourth or the fifth round. Michael Smith said that the Browns felt they couldn't field an NFL secondary if game-day was today, but I'm not sure Ward is going to crack the starting line-up much this season with Abram Elam and Sheldon Brown likely as the two safeties while Wright, Haden, and McDonald play corner. If Ward can crack the starting line-up then Brown could be the nickel corner, a new role for him. A reach.
39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Oakland) -- Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
The Bucs traded up two spots to grab Benn, who the Bucs were afraid would get snagged by Miami or Buffalo. Regardless, the Bucs finally address the receiver position. Benn has a very high ceiling, but needs to run crisper routes and has poor hands. He compares favorably AND unfavorably to Braylon Edwards.
40. Miami Dolphins (from Seattle through San Diego) -- Koa Misi, OLB, Utah
Miami got back into the second round thanks to the first round trade up for Ryan Mathews by San Diego. At this pick they go for a 3-4 rush linebacker and I can't complain about Misi as he's the perfect pick in the second round. He's a very good rush linebacker who had solid collegiate production, but was never elite. At the Senior Bowl though he dominated against superior competition which helped his draft stock. Kindle, Dunlap, and Griffen continue to slide.
No comments:
Post a Comment