Monday, January 31, 2011

The NBA Finals are in June, not January.



Last night the Celtics came into the Staples Center and defeated L.A. 109-96. Despite Kobe Bryant's best efforts the Celtics played excellent team basketball as they pulled away in the 4th quarter. You would swear that it was a title clinching victory the way Celtics fans were celebrating and talking shit. I got calls, Facebook messages, and texts from obnoxious New Englanders. It's 1 game out of an 82 game season, who gives a fuck? This is a generic status buy a casual Celtics fan after a big regular season win "Celtics baby! gonna win it all this year." No, you cannot know that in January. All you can do is guess.


Trust me, I am not writing this because I am a Lakers fan. I have nothing against the Celtics. I was happy they won in 2008. I have a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett jersey. One of my favorite sports movies is He Got Game. This is not a case of angry fan hating on their favorite team's arch-rival. I will admit it. As of right now, the Boston Celtics are the best team in basketball. There are still 35 games left. A lot can happen in 35 games, Celtics fans. Who is to say old age wont catch up to your team in the spring? They have still yet to face the improved, more cohesive Miami Heat and the Chicago Bulls are a far younger, more athletic and almost equally as talented team as The C's. So you should probably worry about getting out of the East before you start talking about winning the Finals.


As for the L.A. the ongoing mantra for the 2011 season is "Now is not the time to start panicking." I'm certainly not panicking, so the Lakers will enter the play-offs without the 1 seed for the first time since acquiring Pau, b.f.d! The only team that is going to have homecourt over them in the West is San Antonio and as history shows the Lakers own the Spurs. They still have the deepest, tallest and most talented front court, the best player since M.J., and the greatest coach of all time. With all of that not having homecourt advantage throughout is pretty manageable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment