Monday, April 4, 2011

Did Reggie Miller get the worst screw-job in Hall of Fame history?




Reggie Miller was eligible for Hall of Fame induction this year. Despite leading the Pacers to many deep postseason runs, finishing his career first in 3 point field goals (recently surpassed by Ray Allen) and being considered by many to be the greatest shooter of all time, the five-time all-star and three-time All-NBA selection player was left of the hall of fame ballot in favor of some pretty unimpressive inductees.

When I google'd 2011 NBA Hall of Fame Class, the first link I saw was "Mullin, Rodman headline 2011 Hall of Fame class." Huh!? Chris Mullin and Dennis Rodman are the best players in the Hall of Fame class!?  

Mullin I considered a borderline Hall of Famer. Mullin was a memeber of the Dream Team, probably be the greatest team ever assembled in the history of sports. He also had five consecutive seasons averaging over 25 points, which is outstanding. However, there were seven seasons where he missed 20+ games, he never brought his team any further than the second round, and his career averages and totals were pedestrian for a player being enshrined into the Hall.

Dennis Rodman is one of the greatest defensive players of all time. He was a two-time Defensive Player of the Year, and lead the league in rebounds a for a record seven consecutive seasons. His numbers and accomplishments are Hall of Fame worthy. However, the last thing Rodman "headlined" was an episode of celebrity rehab. From marrying himself to being arrested for burglary, his demeanor and off the court antics are unbecoming of a Hall of Fame player.

Yes, that is Dennis Rodman in a wedding dress. 
You know what? those two selections don't even bother that much. While Reggie is certainly more deserving, the numbers and achievements are there for Mullin and Rodman. What really pisses me off is that Arvydas fucking Sabonis is going to be inducted. Are you fucking kidding me!? He played just seven seasons in the NBA, never made an all-star or All-NBA team and finished with a career average of 12 points and 7 rebounds. What the hell!? Was Miller caught gambling an given the Pete Rose treatment? That must be it, right?

Considering the players that were selected over him, the fact that Reginald Wayne Miller will not be a first ballot Hall of Fame player is an absolute joke. 

7 comments:

  1. I would certainly say Miller is more deserving than Mullin. However, it is my understanding it is the basketball hall of fame not just the NBA hall of fame, that would then include international play and Mullin's multiple gold medals. The hockey hall of fame is the same way which is why a guy like Igor Larionov is in it, his NHL career is not worthy by a long shot just standing alone. As for Rodman, it almost seems a bit over due. He is perhaps one of the best rebounders of all time and when you are the best at your position or an important stat like that you deserve consideration. Rodzilla also won 5 rings in sport very much concerned with championships and he didn't just win them he was a key part of all 5. Think how close some of those finals games were for the Pistons and the last 3 Bulls titles, Rodman picking up almost double digit boards could have helped swing them one way or the other. Maybe stockton and Malone have at least 1 ring if it wasn't for Rodman as an X factor helping Chicago.

    I do think Reggie will eventually get in, he's to respected in basketball circles to not at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't argue Rodman not being in the Hall in terms of his play. He was 6'8 and lead the league in rebounds for seven consecutive seasons in an an era with some very impressive big men. In my opinion, the greatest rebounder of all time. However he was just such an incredible asshole. The off the court stuff should keep him out of the hall such as marrying himself, being featured on a rehab show for substance abuse, and a rap sheet which includes felony burglary, assault, knowingly infecting a woman with herpes amongst other repugnant acts. Miller on the other hand as you said is a well respected figure in basketball circles and continues to contribute to basketball in a positive way with his commentating on TNT.

    Mullin does have 2 Olympic Medals and a FIBA medal, but Reggie has two gold medals as well (1 Olympic, 1 FIBA) So Miller has a pretty good international resume as well on top of what I consider to be a much better NBA career.

    I don't care how well Sabonis did in Lithuania, his international success an mediocre NBA career does not warrant being selected over Miller.

    Reggie Miller probably is one of my top 5 all-time favorite players so perhaps I'm not being objective enough. I just think he was snubbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well so you understand my points, I was only trying to provide some thoughts as to why Rodman and Mullin did get in, I fully agree that Mille had a better career than Mullin and despite all the team success a better career than Rodman. Miller will and should get in, his media career will help too. It is not like Rodman did not get penalized for his off-court bull shit, without all that crap he probably would already be in. You also can't really count outside of basketball stuff in terms of if he deserves it, Ty Cobb was factually a member of the KKK, he's in the MLB hall of fame and of course O.J. killed two people and is in the NFL's. They both earned their spots yet are horrible human beings.

    I wonder if the camera guy Rodman kicked in the balls will be in attendance at his induction..or if he will set another record - giving the first HOF induction speech for any hall of fame while dressed in drag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the off the court/field stuff is taken into account in some cases. Ty Cobb played and was inducted during a time where it was okay to be a White Nationalist. Pete Rose was deemed permanently ineligible for gambling and I remember a month or two ago you said that Andy Pettit's steroid use would encumber his chances of being a hall of famer. As for OJ, well, I have nothing for OJ.

    I am interested in who is going to introduce Rodman into the Hall. My guess is one of the wrestlers he made friends with during his stint in the NWO. Hulk Hogan? Randy Savage?

    ReplyDelete
  6. See where we differ is how you determine "off the field" stuff. Personally I see steroid use as not an off the field issue. Using steroids especially in a number game can affect your personal stats and games by increasing your performance whether by strength or just even being on the field when you otherwise would still be hurt. Each player should be taken in case by case basis of course but that is a big thing to take into account. I personally do not consider steroids the same as taking cocaine since one is a performance enhancing drug the key it can help you improve your play (cocaine was just a random example nothing more). Also to be fair if you go back and read my Andy article I said that will probably make him have to wait not necessarily if I even believe he should or not. I just think since he's a borderline case and Jack Morris with a similar resume has had to wait over a decade Andy plus steroid cloud will too right or wrong. I see it almost a meaningless debate in a way because I would bet my future life earning Andy will endure a waiting period. I could care less that Barry Bonds did not pay a court ordered child support for a decade, I care more that he accomplished records he would not have accomplished if it were not for PED's. Pete Rose was ban for betting on the sport he played not just for playing black jack in Vegas. I would put Rose in the hall because his "crime" did not affect his stats or play, steroids do. Rodman dressing in drag did not affect his on court play positive or negative.

    Nice word use with encumber by the way..and correctly used I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least Pete is in a sports HOF though..he's a proud member of the WWE Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete