Monday, November 1, 2010

The Giants May End Their Misery; Barry Never Will

As the end to another sports title drought seems to be on the horizon, I want to reflect back on the last time this franchise had a chance to clinch a World Series title. To do that we only need to turn back the clock 8 seasons ago. It was 2002 in the heart of the Barry Bonds steroid days. His Giants were leading 5-3 going into the bottom of the 8th inning. Borderline hall of fame manager (possibly earning his 3rd Manager of the Year Award and second in the NL this season) pulled then ace Russ Ortiz for Felix Rodriguez. This was only after Ortiz allowed back to back singles. Rodriguez made Baker the goat of the bay area as he proceeded to allowing hit after hit including a home run to the scrappy Scott Spezio. Then came in Rob Nen who threw kerosene on the already burning fire. Nen gave up a bomb to Erstad and all of a sudden the Angels (much like Texas in their first ever World Series) were up 6-5. Angels star closer Troy Percival then easily picked up the Anaheim save to tie the series. As these things go in sports blowing a clinching game 6 is never good. Let's just say game 7 allowed a California team to win the series and some veterans to get their first and only title. Yup, the then Anaheim Angels (now Los Angeles of Anaheim blah blah blah) win their first and only World Championship in their only appearance.


In no way am I saying I believe San Francisco will blow it again, in fact I thought the winner of last nights game 4 was going to go on to win the Fall Classic. However, I just wanted to point out what can happen when a franchise that has not won it all in a very long time is involved in a chance to get it done. Hell who am I kidding....? The sole reason for this post was so I could plaster this clip for all to see and reminisce on one of my favorite moments of the past decade in sports. Fast forward to about 3:10 and enjoy for about 5 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment